Yellow Split Peas Sauteed with Swiss Chard, Raisins & Pine Nuts
This saute is a pleasant and colourful side dish for burgers or meatloaf.
- Serving Size 3/4 cup (175 mL)
- Calories 160
- Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates 21 g
- Fibre 4 g
- Protein 9 g
- Sodium 340 mg
- Potassium 900 mg
- Folate 45 mcg
- Iron 3.7 mg
- Calcium 75 mg
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 2 lbs (900 g) Swiss chard, stems removed & leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked yellow split peas
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 3 oz (85 g) ham, finely diced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) pine nuts (or sliced almonds or sunflower seeds)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) raisins, presoaked
In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil over high heat. Add the Swiss chard, cover, and cook for 3 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Drain the chard in a colander, pressing on it firmly with the back of a spoon to remove any excess liquid.
In a large skillet, heat the canola oil over high heat. Add the ham and saute, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes to colour lightly. Add the pine nuts, stir well, then add the Swiss chard, peas, raisins, again mixing well. Cook briefly until all ingredients are heated through.