Vegetarian Chili Chowder
Mixed beans and potatoes give this vegetarian chili some substance. Serve with whole-wheat bread to make a complete protein.
- Calories 210
- Fat 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates 44 g
- Fibre 8 g
- Protein 9 g
- Sodium 60 mg
- Potassium 945 mg
- Folate 40 mcg
- Iron 3.5 mg
- Calcium 135 mg
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) onion
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) smoked paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried mustard
- 1 cup (250 mL) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) mixed beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) corn kernels
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) low-sodium vegetable broth
- Few grains chipotle chili pepper
- freshly ground pepper
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
Lightly spray non-stick medium saucepan with vegetable spray. Heat saucepan. Cook onion, jalapeno pepper, celery and garlic for about 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add spices; cook stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, potatoes, corn and vegetable stock; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender and chowder has thickened. Season with pepper and chipotle chili if desired.
For added zing, add 1-2 mL (½ tsp.) Tabasco sauce.