Spiced Carrot Softies
These spiced carrot cookies are super soft (and a bit healthier) thanks to a secret ingredient — pureed beans!
- Serving Size 1 cookie
- Calories 48
- Fat 1 g
- Carbohydrates 9 g
- Protein 2 g
- Sodium 37 mg
- Potassium 40 mg
- Folate 13 mcg
- Iron 0.5 mg
- Calcium 20 mg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white kidney bean puree*
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) carrots, grated and loosely packed
- 2 cups (500 mL) Best for Bread multi-grain flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
Blend together bean puree and canola oil. Cream bean puree oil, brown sugar and eggs until smooth. Blend in grated carrots.
Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined. Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 -12 minutes or until cookie springs back gently when pressed slightly.
Let cool slightly. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely and store in airtight container.
- White bean puree can be made from white kidney, cannellini, Great Northern or navy beans.