Savoury Beef & Beans in Wine Sauce
This savoury sauce, complete with heart-healthy mixed beans, gives these meatballs a bit of a kick, making a complete meal when served over egg noodles.
- Calories 510
- Fat 7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Carbohydrates 25 g
- Fibre 3.5 g
- Protein 22 g
- Sodium 590 mg
- Potassium 610 mg
- Folate 16 mcg
- Iron 3 mg
- Calcium 70 mg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 package onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) quick-cooking oats
- 1 lb (454 g) extra-lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 medium carrots
- 6 baby potatoes (optional)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) mixed beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp (3 mL) dried thyme
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) red wine or low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ketchup
- 6 cups (1.5 L) hot cooked egg noodles
In a small bowl combine the egg whites, onion soup mix and oats. Crumble beef or turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 8 2.5 cm (1 inch) balls.
Lightly spray a large non-stick skillet with oil. Cook beef/turkey uncovered for 10-15 minutes browning evenly on all sides.
Remove meatballs from pan. Lightly saute carrots, potatoes if using, onions and garlic. Return meatballs to pan. Add beans, spices, beef broth, red wine and ketchup and simmer until broth mixture is reduced.
Serve mixture over hot cooked egg noodles.