Apple Cake with Warm Cranberry Sauce
Looking for something new to take to your next potluck dinner? Surprise everyone with this cake made with beans!
- Serving Size 1 slice including sauce
- Calories 444
- Fat 14 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 48 mg
- Carbohydrates 74 g
- Fibre 4 g
- Sugar 41 g
- Protein 8 g
- Sodium 241 mg
- Potassium 300 mg
- Folate 140 mcg
- Iron 3 mg
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cooked white beans* or canned, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) apple juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cooking apples, peeled and grated
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) brown sugar
- 3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cloves
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped pecans
- 2 oranges - zest and juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white sugar
- 2 cups (500 mL) cranberries
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) corn starch
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water
Warm Cranberry Sauce
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
In a food processor or blender, puree beans with juice until smooth. Transfer puree to a large mixing bowl and stir in oil, applesauce, eggs, vanilla and apples. Add brown sugar and mix well.
Combine remaining dry ingredients and pecans together and gently fold into wet ingredients.
Pour into a greased bundt pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes. Turn out of pan and allow cake to cool to room temperature.
Warm Cranberry Sauce
In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, combine orange juice, zest and water. When hot, add sugar and cranberries. Dissolve the corn starch in the 1/4 cup (60 mL) of water and add to saucepan. Simmer over low heat for one minute, stirring gently. Remove from heat. Do not overcook or use high heat.
Serve (warm) sauce over slices of Apple Cake and garnish with whipped cream if desired.
*White beans include Great Northern, navy, cannellini, white kidney or white pea beans.