Alberta Pulse Growers proudly supports a variety of educational initiatives designed to teach people about the benefits of both growing and cooking with pulses.
Classroom Support Program
Pulses – including dried peas, beans, chickpeas, and lentils – are healthy foods that are versatile for many classes including Junior High, intermediate and advanced Foods classes as well as CTEC Foods curricula, including Food 2190 (Grains, legumes, pulses, nuts and seeds) and Food 2130 (vegetarian cuisine).
Alberta Pulse is offering the following resources for junior and senior high Foods teachers:
- $25 gift card per class to purchase pulses (dry or canned pulses) from Loblaws stores such as Superstore, Extra Foods or No Frills Foods
- One copy for the teacher of the recipe booklet Pulses: Cooking With Beans, Peas, Lentils and Chickpeas
- Print resources for students on request (see list on order form)
- One pulse variety poster illustrating the different types of pulses
Community Cooking Class Program
Alberta Pulse offers a sponsorship for educators/leaders who are holding workshops or cooking classes that focus on teaching people in their community how to cook with pulses.
- $25 gift card to purchase pulses (dry or canned) from Loblaws stores such as Superstore, Extra Foods or No Frills Foods.
- Copies for each participant of the recipe booklet Pulses: Cooking with Peas, Beans, Lentils and Chickpeas.
- Pulse recipe sheets for each participant.
Classroom Agriculture Program
The Classroom Agriculture Program (CAP) is a free one-hour hands-on presentation about agriculture. Delivered by volunteers across the province, CAP teaches grade 4 students the importance of agriculture in their daily lives. Following the classroom presentation, all students receive an Activity Book containing supplementary information. A package of resource material is also provided for each teacher. CAP is a multi-commodity initiative endorsed by Alberta Education and Alberta Agriculture and Forestry.
For more information about CAP, please visit www.classroomagriculture.com.
Ag in the Classroom
Pulse Lesson Plans Available through Ag in the Classroom
Agriculture in the Classroom Canada partnered with Pulse Canada during 2016 International Year of Pulses to offer lesson plans for educators across Canada and bring curriculum-linked pulse concepts to the classroom. Click here to learn more.