This soup freezes well for up to 3 months.
|2 Tbsp (30 mL)||Canola Oil, cold pressed if available|
|2-3||cloves garlic, minced|
|4 cups (1 L)||chopped fresh or frozen cauliflower|
|1/2 cup (125 mL)||dried green split peas, rinsed and drained|
|1 tsp (5 mL)||dried thyme leaves|
|4 cups (1 L)||vegetable or chicken broth|
|To Taste||Salt and freshly ground pepper|
|1/3 cup (75 mL)||crumbled Old Cheddar cheese|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
1. In a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven heat canola oil over medium temperature.
Add garlic and onion, sauté until caramelized and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
2. Stir in cauliflower, dried split peas, thyme and broth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until peas are tender, may require another 5-10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and carefully ladle into a blender or use a hand blender in the pot, to whir mixture to a chunky texture.
4. Return to saucepan, if necessary, and heat to a simmer. Season to taste.
5. Serve with crumbled cheese and a drizzle of cold pressed canola oil if desired.
Makes 4-6 servings of 1/4 recipe or 2 cups/500 mL per serving.View All Recipes +